Return to site

Expand Your Business to the US

I often get asked this question from callers anxious to start a new business in the United States,“ I have a thriving business in ….., (fill in the name of the country) a large part of my business is in the US.  I want to start a new office in the America to focus on my contracts there.   How do I do start a new office?”  Here’s how:

  • Have a US connection

The new U.S. office must have a corporate relationship with your foreign entity abroad where you have been employed either as a manager, executive, or worker with specialized knowledge.

  • Demonstrate a relationship between the foreign and US offices
  • Demonstrate foreign employment as a Manager, Executive or Specialized Knowledge worker
  • The new office must be operating within one year

The “new office” L-1 visa is meant to facilitate a “ramp up” period for a new U.S. office of a foreign entity. This period is limited to one year.

  • The new office must be able to support a full time Manager or Executive
  • The Takeaway

New office L visas are usually granted for 1 year to qualified applicants. If you are from India, be aware that the denial rate in India is generally about 25%, which is higher than other countries.  There is a general belief is that the incidence of fraud is very high in India, due to the falsification of evidence and supporting documents. 

Nalini S Mahadevan, JD, MBA

Attorney at Law

This blog is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship or meant as legal advice.

All Posts

Almost done…

We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!

OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly